Reflecting. It’s one of my favorite things.
I tend to forget the magic and mystery that shows up each month when I don’t take some time to pause and reflect. The next thing I know we are halfway through the year and I think I haven’t been, seen or done much. When I reflect I get to revisit the month and connect with more of what transpired. Seeing gifts I may not have, beauty overlooked, and joy missed.
Reflecting is good medicine.
How I wanted to feel…
free, clarity, release
Year of Love Invitation
leave a little pixie dust everywhere you go
January was full of emotion. My oldest was transitioning clear across the country which drowned out everything else. Had I not taken this time to reflect I would have forgot that I also took care of some bank accounts that needed to be closed and we started redesigning our bedroom—getting a new bed, bedding, bedroom furniture. In the first week I got to hang with girlfriends Jill, Kelle and Eileen. I said YES to Mexico. I finally caught up with the dentist and had my eye exam which resulted in a new prescription. Text from a friend saying that platform you like, it’s having a sale and you hit BUY. Had a long overdue catchup with LisaL where she fed me well, I am spoiled and grateful. We began our new date/time for the Pregnancy & Infant Loss Group which proved to be a great idea. My boy started school AND a new office job, we got to have one last Friday morning breakfast together at ‘our place’ before he started. Then I got to spend the afternoon with Toni… again, an overdue coffee catchup. I actually went 12 weeks between haircuts – my hair is growing! Kate and I had a fun day taking care of Christmas returns and lunching. I kept the dreaded dental appointment to have that cavity filled and it wasn’t as bad as my mind conjured. Even though I wasn’t in the mood I attended our 3rd Ceili De meeting for my Anamcara apprenticeship program and guess what, I left feeling better than I went. And I picked up Pizza Bank afterwards… guilty pleasure. Before Dave and I headed to Asheville, we had a family dinner at Japonessa, even though time was tight. We keep reminding ourselves, these moments are limited as our kids are grown and moving onto their next chapters in life. On Gram’s 19th deathiversary we flew to Asheville. It was like we had an angel on the other side accompanying us. Wise Gram Ancestor energy… love, love, love. Spent a profound few hours with Sammie where much was shared, felt, and released. To see her bright eyes again, squeeze her tight, and show her how loved she is… my mama heart melted. Then massages and facials. Followed by food poisoning… WHA??!!! And a rescheduled flight for my man. And a mom and daughter movie, The Greatest Showman – followed by a dad and daughter movie, Star Wars. Time spent in Barnes & Noble. And lots of shopping for the necessities, and some extras. Lots of exploring Asheville. Another meal at Sunny Pointe Cafe, oh my yum. Beginning yoga, thank you apps for making it easy. Finished Waking Up in Winter on the plane, as well as reading a cookbook cover to cover – ha. Then home, again… after flight delays and running to make connecting flights. To a clean house 🙂 A very lazy and emotional day. And the arrival of a new baby boy in the family, James Parker, born the day after his mama’s birthday. And our (youngest) girl leaving for a long weekend. And the day after that… energized, nourishing, soul-filling. Our boy picking up his new golf clubs, and seeing his excitement. Upgraded comcast boxes – what a difference! Poker and golf for my guy and a catchup day for me, with sandwiches at the kitchen table with my boy. Ending the week with random watercolor painting, I felt called, so I listened. So much meaning and magic in the mundane, as well as the challenges.
- Tarot by the Moon 2018 spreads from Ethony.
- Reflecting each week.
- Tending to my emotional well-being and using supportive resources. (CoDA, Parent Calls, The Other PTA)
- Finishing one book (Waking Up in Winter) and starting another!!
- Being with my emotions… even those uncomfortable ones.
- Watching space open up as I release and let go of some things.
- Creating beauty in our home and letting it be a process.
- Taking care of some long overdue items on my personal to-do list.
- Beginning my Sunday Sacred Invitation videos on Instagram again, and that it kicked off with LOVE 🙂
- I’ve been writing more and have picked up practicing yoga again – gently, easy, slowly.
- Traveling with my guy and spending time with my kids, even just around the kitchen table.
- Writing this post and seeing all the magic and mystery that played out in January, seriously good good stuff.
- Meditating like a muther, the space and peace I’m feeling… thank you Insight Timer – oh, and as of today I’ve meditated for 412 consecutive days! Right now, I’m hooked on this one, The Power of Silence.
- Playing and sharing my lists on Instagram from the book The 52 Lists Project. #52ListsSundays.
- Getting creative – creating courses on ruzuku and painting for no reason.
As I look at my intentions for the year and this months guides I see where I learned, leaned into and avoided. I chose gratitude, love and wonder, also seeing where I could have chose wonder a bit more. I embodied my 2018 Goddess Oya and spoke up. Buffalo reminds me to return to an abundant mindset, see what I do have and see the good in situations versus worrying unnecessarily about the future. Be present, be grateful.
I also see where I played and connected with friends much more than I thought. Where I felt free and clear (at times), and began releasing old beliefs and physical stuff in our home. And my Year of Love… leave a little pixie dust everywhere you go — I certainly felt that way at the beginning of the month and now, at the end.
Reflection is medicine. Medicine I need and want in my life. Thank you January, for your gifts, challenges, and joy.