Since 2009 I’ve picked a word for the year. The process has changed or looks a little different each year. This year was no exception. I decided I wasn’t choosing a word. I simply wanted to be.
In years past, a word would come to me or I’d choose a word from Amy Palko’s My Word Goddess Guidance Reading (which, ahem, is still available through January 31st!), and my Medicine Wheel Reading (sorry, sold out early December).
Once I chose to simply be, the Divine led me in another direction… to downloading Susannah Conway’s free Unravelling the Year Ahead on December 31st.
I found myself with a few open days before me. To my surprise over the next week and a half I completed the entire thing (a 33 page pdf). Since 2013 I’ve never completed Susannah’s beautiful pdf in it’s entirety. I would complete the parts I felt drawn to. As one should. This year, with little pockets of time and space and my attention was constantly drawn to Unravelling 2016.
After a rollercoaster year in 2015 I was ready to return—to nourish all that felt depleted mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I am choosing to nourish a life of joy, meaning, and ease—full of the silly, sacred, and simple.
Along the journey, and on an ongoing basis, I will ask nourish these questions…
- How are you here to help me?
- What wants to be nourished?
- What do you feel, sound, smell, taste, and look like?
I’ll also looked at nourishes opposites—neglect, deprive, starve. I want to pay attention to when I’m neglecting, depriving, and/or starving myself because these are also here to help me… return to nourish and return to love.
I truly believe when you choose a word, you are choosing all of it! You are inviting in all of it’s gifts for growth.
What do you do at the end/beginning of each year?
The bonus! I shared my word with my family and each of them choose a word. Each one so unique to them, they amaze me. So I did something to surprise them.
Past words and a post on the power of reflecting before moving forward in the new year…
- Reflecting and right now!
(ps~ a good portion of Susannah Conway’s Unravelling the Year Ahead has you look at the past year first, swoon!)
- Creating your own ceremony / ritual.
- 2015 Release : now on overload, I was ready to release what no longer served me, let go, and surrender
- 2014 Receive : depleted from giving my energy I was ready to open myself to receive
- 2013 Rooted : this is where and when my love affair with Mama Earth began to deepen
- 2012 More : more love, more fun, more kindness, more…
- 2011 Move : my song was Bust a Move by Young MC
- 2010 Action
- 2009 Soar : my song was Soar by Christina Aguilera